Three-Year-Old Class – “Bumblebees”: Children must be three years of age before September 1st. This class meets Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:15 a.m. until 11:45 a.m.
Four-Year-Old Class – “Tree Frogs”: Children must be four years of age before September 1st. This class meets Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings from 9:15 a.m. until 11:45 a.m.
Maximum Class Size: Twenty children with two teachers.
Preschool Year: The school generally begins the Thursday before Labor Day and ends the Thursday before Memorial Day. The calendar corresponds to the Mounds View School District calendar. Fall and spring conferences are held to help parents track their child’s progress throughout the school year.
Licensing: North Oaks Preschool is licensed by the Minnesota Department of Human Services.
Curriculum: The curriculum is a 2-year curriculum that allows the child to build on the knowledge and skills gained. Each week a preschool appropriate theme is introduced and used as a main focus of study while also concentrating on other academic learning. In addition to our weekly themes, we concentrate on one color during each week in the fall. The letters of the alphabet are emphasized throughout the year. Children are encouraged to wear the ‘color of the week” to school in the fall and clothes that highlight the ‘number of the day’ or ‘letter of the day’ through the rest of the school year.
There are a number of enrichment activities and field trips scheduled throughout the school year. Some of the enrichment activities include a storyteller that comes into the classroom to tell stories without books helping children to visualize the story in their own minds. Other guests and programs include police officers, fire fighters, a puppet program and an animal program. Sample field trips include trips to a pizza shop, grocery story, outdoor visits to the Tamarack Nature Center, an animal farm, a bird banding program and Minneapolis Orchestra Hall (4’s class only).
- The day starts with calendar time, weather, special instruction, art explanation, etc.
- Free choice time until 10:15 a.m. Children choose activities from a variety of academic and social areas, move in and out peer groups, follow through with art activities, write their name, follow 2-4 step directions, read their name from a list while interacting with each other, teachers and the adults in the classroom.
- Clean up time.
- Show and Tell, Spanish, Special Day Story and Poster, Spanish or early Pre-Reading (4’s only).
- Snack time.
- Large group time. The teacher leads activities that include movement and listening play in music, science, graphing and math skills, discussion, story time, color discussions, numbers 1-10, letters of the alphabet.
- Large muscle time. Children play outdoors weather permitting or indoors if inclement weather.